This is another recipe from the Oklahoma Natural Gas Company, published in 1995. It’s everything I love in a family dinner: simple, substantial, and flavorful. The flavor balance is fairly good, with the savory sausage and fermented sauerkraut underlying the fruity sweetness of the apples. Caraway seeds add subtlety to the mix.
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (32-ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped apples (I combined Red Delicious and Golden Delicious because those were what I had in the refrigerator)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
In a large skillet, brown the sausage over low heat.
Stir in all of the remaining ingredients, and mix until the brown sugar dissolves.
Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the apples are tender.
Click here for a print-friendly version.